Friday, March 11, 2005

Today is the day...maybe.

I'm leaving today for a long excursion throughout select sites on the Island. Maybe.

I was first told that we would leave yesterday. Then it became 8:00 Friday morning. Then 10:00. Now it has become a very nebulous 'after 1:00'.

This is Island time. This drives me mad. (Taz, on the other hand, would be at home here.)

Anyway, I'm traveling to and throughout the Samana Peninsula on the northern coast. In a boat off the coast, I'll be searching for breeding Humpback whales and having lunch on the island of Cayo Levantado and checking out the nude beach there. Could be fun, could be scary...

Going to a excursion through Los Haitises National Park where you can go into caves and see ancient Taino Indian cave drawings. (Between you and me, this one scares me the most because of the probability of seeing snakes. Actually, it terrifies the bejeezuz out of me.)

If I live, I'll be going to small beaches, Restaurant and Hotel hunting, vising a rum factory, an Ambar museum, Ocean World, a cigar factory and countless other sites along the Ambar coast.

Then, going down through the mountains of the Cordillera Central and checking out the white water rafting and other adventure sports.

As we pass through the capital city again, we'll then head over to the rocky cliffs along the southern shore and to Lago Enriquillo, which is 4x saltier than the ocean, to see the crocodiles and flamingoes (hopefully not with the latter in the teeth of the former).

This is just a taste (pun intended). I guess you'll have to read the book to find out the rest. ;)

Until I'm able to make it to an internet accessible place, this is 'so long' from the Island of Twaddle. I'll be back in about 10 days. (but do check between, i might miss you terribley while on the road and want to say hi.) It's a fast trip, but hopefully fruitfull. Pray to whatever diety you want to so that i won't end up in the mouth of a whale, or crocodile, or in the belly of a snake like that dude they found! God!!!! Sakes alive!!!

xoxoxo
A